Friday, September 23, 2011

You Aren't Just a Mom; You're THE Mom

I could barely contain my excitement while sharing with my friends on Facebook and someone recommended making this into a post that can be shared for inspiration.

So guess what happened this morning?!!! YAYYYY DH (Dear Husband) and I stopped by Target this morning to grab a few things for our camping trip and I stayed in the car b/c the kiddos were asleep in their seats. After a few minutes, DS (Dear Son) woke up so I started to get him out...then became aware of a lady sitting in the passenger seat of her 2 door Pontiac w/ 3 small kids in the backseat and NO carseats.

It was a quick observation that made my heart sink but I wasn't sure what to do and I was busy attending to my son. I just kept unbuckling him, feeling her staring into my back. Then I sat in the van to nurse him. She stared and stared. I was thinking to myself, oh dear, she's angry that I'm nursing in public, even in my own vehicle...then she got out...OH DEAR!!! HERE SHE COMES TO GET ME! LOL

She walked up to the window and said, "I saw your carseat decal about rearfacing and I see your daughter in her seat. How old is she?" *I almost coughed down my surprise lol*




So I told her she'll be 3 in November and she said, "My son is 3!" (AGH!!!)

We chatted. She has a 3yo, a 6yo and a 7yo stepson. NO carseats of any kind. She said that after the infant seat, she was confused on what to buy and her partner didn't want to spend money. She thought they were big enough.

I said, "Let's go shopping."

And so, we did. With 5 kids in tow, we, the mamas, shopped the carseat aisle. She had ZERO in her budget so we didn't try for extended rearfacing (tall, heavy 3yo anyways, uncertain of exact weight). So we got a Maestro for the 3yo, then a Graco hbb and a Graco low back. They all fit. Those 3 kids drove off correctly belted. :) I also had some of my free USAA carseat brochures and gave her a handful to keep in her car and pass out to her friends.

Oh and the quirkiest part to this entirely unexpected exchange... as they were driving away, she said good for me for breastfeeding and that she likes peaceful parenting on Facebook and I should check out that page.  *giggles*

I hope this brightened your day. :) It totally made my day and was a tangible reminder of why I keep sharing on here. Yesterday, I bumped into more information about ongoing drama and once again considered shutting down my activism and moving on to another hobby or something. (I was pretty deflated). I guess this was a much needed sign to keep my chin up and to trust in other parents.

Because you are NOT "just a mama." You are THE mama. And you are the only person who would go to the end of the world, give your life, study every night late into the night, read every medical journal out there, stand up to any doctor/nurse/caseworker, go against every cultural practice, risk alienation and mockery, all to make sure your child is respected and safe.

Whether it's about birth choices, circumcision, vaccination, carseats or anything else, YOU are the one who will reach down deep to find the strength to do what this amazing lady did in the parking lot today. She approached a complete stranger and humbly asked for advice. She got over her guilt. She got over her fear. She did this for HER CHILDREN. Because she is THE MAMA. Never underestimate yourself and the love and commitment you have for your child.




This is the decal on my van, hand made by Educated Mama Decals.
Who wants her child to be a minimum? No one! This is why I oppose the Best Campaign. Your words speak to others; choose carefully!

24 comments:

  1. That's great Girlfriend! Whenever I see other parent's doing crazy stuff that might hurt their children I always try and intervene, such as when they don't vaccinating or home birth. Some parents just don't care about their children's safety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome of you to help her and for her to even ask for help.

    I can't help but be enraged at her excuse though. She was "confuse" after the infant seat??!! Assuming that's the bucket seat, that means for the better part of 2 years her youngest hasn't been in a car seat at all if I read correctly. Absolutely absurd and no excuse for it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good article & nice to see the children reaping the benefits of seeing someone doing something nice for a stranger plus being made in the vehicle. With that said it shocks me that after reading such a great, non-judgement article about helping others that someone above would say that if you don't vax or you have a home birth you don't care about your children's safety. Way to take the spirit if the article & crush it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Ann. You intervene if they don't home birth? That seems like a bit much..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad she had the courage to approach you and ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guggie, I'm a lurker, but I believe in everything you write and I feel it inspires other moms to stand up for what they believe in their hearts. Please DON'T stop being an activist because of other's hurtful/negative comments. We need you to lead up and raise above other's harsh crisicisms. Inside those people they feel uncertain/scared that they aren't doing the right thing for their child(ren) and you're forcing them to face that. It has NOTHING to do with you. Be yourself and rise above it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! So inspiring!I'm going to put a link on my blog to this article:)

    www.wholesome-mama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome! Good for you! (I am super confused at Anonymous 9:27 comment though).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your 3 y.o. Is rear facing? She still fits that way?...and WAY TO GO!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think "anonymous" is missing the point. Pretty shocked that you generalize and lump moms who don't vaccinate or have home births into the category of "don't care about their kids safety." I'm pretty sure the majority of moms who make these very challenging life decisions do them out of love for their children - not because they don't care. did you even read the article?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear anon: there is nothing dangerous about home birth with the assistance of a certified nurse midwife. Delivering in a hospital is actually a lot more dangerous for the baby, seeing that hospitals are overrun with superbacteria that the newborn has no immunities to. Unlike a woman's home which only has bacteria the woman has been exposed to her whole pregnancy and therefore she will pass on all the needed antibodies when she breastfeeds. Not to mention, no chances of dangerous drugs being given to mom which pass to baby, like demerol and epidurals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guggie, you're fabulous. Keep on doing what you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do care about my children's safety. That is why they were homebirthed, not vaccinated, and DID use car seats! BTW they are now 27, 23, 20, 17, & 14!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw a link to this post on Educated Mama Decals' fb page. WAY TO GO! Good for you for helping that other mom out! I have a rear-facing decals too, and keep hoping for at least a question from another parent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. my FAVORITE post yet Guggie! good on u, ur an inspiration and always will be xo
    -sharna major

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's really great! Props to you and the other mama :)

    ReplyDelete