Friday, January 14, 2011

Avocado...Pudding? Fudgesicles? Really?

So one day I stumbled across this article on how to make Avocado Fudgesicles.

"Honey, apparently you can make fudgesicles with avocados," I said.

"Gee, that sounds disgusting," Sanfis replied.

And so I set out to try it out. The top two concerns I note when switching to a nourishing lifestyle are 1) how the heck do I get my child to eat nourishing food and 2) will I deprive my child of the delightful joys of delicious badness?

This recipe seems to solve both those worries. First, it contains avocados, which are nutrient-dense little balls filled with goodness, especially Folate and good fats. Read the impressive list here. You can also increase the goodness of this recipe by choosing organic vanilla extract and raw honey. Cacao has numerous benefits as well. In other words, this recipe doesn't have any cringe-worthy ingredients.

Second, whether chilled as pudding or frozen into fudgesicles, it was absolutely delicious. And trivial as it might seem to others, I was happy to see DD (Dear Daughter) running around with a popsicle in a cloth diaper. Ah, the good times of summer: barely clothed, eating frozen dessert!

So, here's the recipe:




8 medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup water
3 medium avocados, pitted
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup honey
5 to 7 tablespoons cacao or cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
pinch sea salt

All you do is soak the dates in water for half an hour, then blend everything together. I personally found the vanilla to be a bit much, so the next time around I added less. 

What did the family say?

Me: I liked it in pudding form the best. I love pudding and was happy to find a dairy free, nourishing alternative.

DH: "That looks like poop." *licks it tentatively* "Wow, that's delicious!"

DD: "NOM NOM NOM"


Toddler approved!

5 comments:

  1. do you have a suggestion as to what one might replace coconut milk with to make it still super yummy but appropriate for someone who is allergic to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almond milk, hemp milk or even rice milk might be good alternatives. I've heard that rice milk is contaminated with arsenic though so might want to check that issue out first! :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that it was the brown rice milk that had the arsenic in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe you should think about giving credit to original publisher of this recipe.
    http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2010/06/avocado-fudgesicles.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, the original link has always been in the very first sentence of my blog post.

    ReplyDelete